What does the generalist in-house counsel need to know about copyright? While patents and trademarks often receive the lion’s share of an organization’s intellectual property focus, copyrights comprise a critical third prong to a healthy overarching IP strategy – even for companies whose products and services involve little or no content creation.
Foley Hoag LLP presented a webinar offering guidance for in-house counsel regarding copyright law, including the basics of U.S. copyright protection and registration, copyright disputes, and the interplay among copyright, the internet, and emerging technologies.
- Copyrightable subject matter many businesses forget to protect
- Copyright ownership: who owns what in the corporate environment?
- How and when to register copyrights
- Best practices for avoiding copyright infringement
- What to do when your company is accused of infringement
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown basics
- The overlap between copyright and other forms of intellectual property
- Recent important copyright developments